Tuesday 31 March 2015

Mentoring at Hawthorne - February 23rd


This was my second week with my student at Hawthorne. He had emailed me some of his work and after reading it and having discussed how he goes about writing essays, I realised that he needed help organising his thoughts. His topics were good and he was able to find supporting resources to back up his ideas, but his essays were not tightly structured and had a tendency to lack consistency.
After our first mentoring session, I spent some time researching resources online that would help will the writing process. Luckily, I stumbled across an awesome resource from www.readwritethink.org. It was an interactive essay map that forced students to think about their essay as a whole and broke down the arguments that they would be using in their essay. Once the essay map it completed, it shows students an outline of their entire essay. (The essay map can be found at the followng link: http://www.readwritethink.org/classroom-resources/student-interactives/essay-30063.html?tab=3).
I thought it was really useful because it really breaks down how students need to formulate their thoughts before they can actually begin writing, which was something that my student at Hawthorne had difficulty with.

No comments:

Post a Comment