Tuesday 31 March 2015

It’s a Wrap! - March 16th


When I signed up for PED 3148, I knew that it was writing across the curriculum, but I assumed that it would be geared towards teaching writing within English classes, which seems like a silly conclusion to make now that I am looking back on it. After ten weeks, I have realised that writing is not something that is strictly linked to English classes and the social sciences. It made it clear that writing and teaching students to write can be implemented in all classes, not only English.

What I struggled most with during this semester, specifically during the mentoring period at Hawthorne, was how to evaluate student writing. Previously, the only experience that I had with editing/correcting essays was with my peers at the university level. It took me some time to change the way that I looked at the writing samples that my student from Hawthorne gave me. However, after discussing with my peers in class and editing my student’s essays a couple of times, I became more comfortable and capable of changing how I critically read his essays according to his grade level. I really enjoyed this part of the course because it helped me improve my one-on-one interactions with students and how to go about making them feel comfortable and guiding them in their work. If I had to go back, I would most definitely choose to take this course again because it was a great experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment